Last Saturday I decided to brew again and this time it was an IPA. Pretty simple recipe I found online. I used DME this time - a little more pricey but a lot easier to use
As I'm sure you can tell, I'm really glad I used the blow-off tube for this one. It was bubbling like crazy for about 48 hours before finally calming down Tuesday morning.
Thinking about 2 weeks in primary before transferring to secondary for 1 week of dry hopping. When it's time to bottle, I'll do half the batch as regular and the other half I'm going to add about 2oz of cold steeped coffee to. Here's the recipe I used:
7.5lbs Extra Light DME
1.5lbs Caramel Malt 80L (mash in 45' at 158°, mash out 15' at 168°)
WYeast 1272 (American II)
1oz Cascade (3.2 AAU) at 60'
1oz Amarillo (9.3 AAU) at 35'
0.5oz Simcoe (13.0 AAU) at 30'
0.5oz Warrior (16.7 AAU) at 30'
1oz Cascade secondary
1oz Simcoe secondary
1oz Warrior secondary
I also ended up bottling my first batch the next day on Sunday. What a mess. Turns out that I only had a transferring spigot for the bottling bucket. Did not realize this until after the bucket was full, of course. I filled the bottles straight from the bucket so there was a lot of oxygen that got into the beer. Guess I'll just have to drink them sooner than later once they're ready! Just for fun, I filled a swingtop growler and added half a bourbon vanilla bean. I have concerns that the beer won't carbonate fully in the growler and that the vanilla bean will be in there too long, dominating the flavor of the beer. But if it works, I'm thinking it'll be pretty tasty. I'll be sure to report back with details in a few weeks